I like names that mean something. The summer I was a counselor at Camp Oakcrest my assigned name was Chipper and in the skit we performed each week, I was Chipper the Chipmunk. At the time, I was not fond of the name. However, 1. I have grown to be fascinated with chipmunks and like them. I even have chipmunk friends at Aspen Hills and 2. Chipper means cheerful and happy and that is what I like to be. So, I chose oakcrestchipper as my name because I like it AND I think I can remember it! Besides all the Catherine variations that I could remember were taken.
At the U of U I was in the LDS sorority Lambda Delta Sigma. It was so fun and I have tons of great memories from that time. For a University talent show we performed a medley of sunny songs-You Are My Sunshine/Keep Your Sunnyside Up/On the Sunny Side of the Street/Applause Applause. We sang and danced and I have never forgotten the routine. In fact, at one time all my children could sing and do the actions right along with me. Here are the words I remember that we sang. Isn't it interesting that I can remember the words to four songs I sang more that thirty years ago?
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear how much I love you Please don't take my sunsine away
Keep your sunny side up, up Hide that side that gets blue
If you have nine sons in a row Baseball teams make money you know
Keep your funny side up, up Let that laughter break through, too
Stand up on your legs, Be like two fried eggs
Keep your sunnyside up!
Grab your coat and get your hat, Leave your worries on the door step
Just direct your feet to the sunny side of the street
Can't you hear the pitter pat and that happy tune is your step
Life can be so sweet on the sunny side of the street
I used to walk in the shade with my blues on parade
But I'm not afraid, This rover, croseed over
If I never have a cent I'll be rich as Rockefeller
Gold dust at my feet on the sunny side of the street!
What is it that we're living for? Applause, applause
Nothing I know brings on the glow like sweet applause
You're thinking your through, That nobody cares
Then sufddenly you, Hear it, starting
And all at once you know again what life is for
Cares disappear soon as you hear
That happy audience roar, cause
you've had a tast of that sound that says love
Applause, applause, applause!!
Now to Catherine Marie. Catherine is the middle name of my great-grandmother Rachel Catherine Hollister Ferre and Marie is the name of my Grandma Anderson's oldest sister who died before she turned 5. Because my mom was the oldest Grand-daughter of above mentioned great grandmother, I have the little rocking chair she received as a gift the last Christmas before she died and the story is told that she never even got to sit in said rocking chair! Now beautiful dolls that belonged to my mom reside in that chair.
1 week ago

I am amazed that you can remember those songs from more than 30 years ago! I have not heard the tune of the last 3. I love the beautiful story of your rocking chair...how blessed you are to have the name Catherine.
ReplyDelete