We had great talks in Sacrament meeting based on Elder Uctdorf's talk at the Relief Society General Meeting in September. They touched me and I wanted to share some thoughts. Happiness is a divine, Godly characteristic. The very objective of our existence is eternal happiness. In order to gain that eternal happiness we need to emulate our Savior. He showed us the way by creating and being compassionate.
We all have the ability to create, it is just demonstrated in different ways. Now here is the important part, to me, comparison is one of Satan's most effective tools! We usually compare our worst with someone else's best. Do you do that? I know I do. But, what good does that do? None at all, let me tell you. I think I have wasted a lot of time trying to live up to what someone else did instead of trying to reach my own goals in my own way. So, I want you to join me in stop comparing and start accepting yourself!
Compassion for ourselves (see above) and for others is so important. It really is of value to understand feelings of another and then respond to their needs with that insight. When I was a young mother I felt bad because I did not have the time, energy, resources to be more compassionate to others. A wise friend told me my responsibility was to show compassion to my own family and especially my children, I would have plenty of time and opportunity to help others. What great wisdom that was for me. We need to live life at the stage we are in. At that time I needed to learn to serve those in my home. I was a slow learner, but hope that I finally have figured that out. What stage of like are you in? Who do you need to show compassion for?
Just the act of being who you are leads to creativity and compassion. It just looks different for each of us.
To all those young adult women in my life, you are the best examples to me. Each of you has your own special qualities and characteristics. Each of you is the best at what you are doing. Isn't that amazing? You truly are the very best!
For my daughters, especially:
Katie A., you are a great leader
Katie E., you are a great mother
Megan, you are a great friend
Lauren, you are a great student
You are all great daughters! Each of you impacts my life, for good, in a very special way, every single day.
So, to everyone, I want you all to be happy and to find that eternal happiness that is there for you to enjoy today.
1 week ago

Ok, so I am glad you posted on my blog. I miss seeing you and hearing your testimony and words of wisdom. You are an amazing lady. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony.
ReplyDeleteI talked with Shelley today, and you guys came up with an awesome camp theme!!! Good luck with everything. :)
I have accepted the life stage i am in now finally and am not constantly waiting for the next big thing. this is the fun stage. well, all stages are fun, but this stage seems more fun than others. thanks for the post! you are great!
ReplyDeleteI appreciated your kind words on my motherhood woes post...that was very sweet of you...it's always nice to hear from people who are in my corner.
ReplyDeleteI loved the talks too! I think that both times that bro. Rees spoke, I needed to hear what he had to say, in the way only he could say it. I love the thought that ALL of the pain, anguish, and trials that I face...will one day be overwhelming joy, happiness, and peace...and that if I hang on a little while longer...it will come little by little. So often, I forget to enjoy the little things in life, and I stay in the "single mommy mode" that it is good to stop and sip an orange through a peppermint stick! I am going to pick 3 good things to do this week...the first to paint my toenails!
ReplyDelete