Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

Sunday March 22 was my mother-in-law's 79th birthday anniversary. We lost her seven years ago. Sometimes it feels like just yesterday. Sometimes too long. Thinking about she and my mom together working for good makes me feel happy. One of the last things my mom said to me was, "I really miss Gene." I miss her, too.

She was the glue that held us all together.

She was proud of all of her children.

She was proud of all of her grandchildren.

Each of them had a special place in her heart and they knew exactly where that place was.

She taught me not only how to cook, but how to be a great cook! A pound of butter always makes everything taste better.

She taught Lauren how to make rolls and breads. Yummy, yummy! And Lauren can do it just like Grandma did!

When the kids were little after they were potty trained, they got to spend Friday nights with Grandma.

She got the three oldest grandsons together to encourage potty training. Ask AJ, Cam or Nate about the aiming for the fence adventure.

She taught me about real Eastering. What fun we always had!

She told great stories. Ask any of the kids about the bunny story.

She brought homemade hot rolls to our houses every Sunday.

She taught me how to be a better seamstress.

She and I took quilting classes together, okay she bullied me into them with her and boy did we have fun. It is one of the best hobbies I have taken up.

She had Lauren and Megan take the classes with us!

She made all of her kids clothes with scraps and pieces and they looked store bought. You should see the pictures.

She quilted Ray and I two, yes two, temple quilts because the first one was not centered in the fabric. And this was in four weeks!

She embroidered special aprons for Ray and I. Every time I wear mine I think about how much she loved us.

She treated me like a daughter and loved me a lot and needed a lot of patience because I was kind of difficult.

She raised kind sons. I have the very best husband in the whole wide world. he is patient, kind, compassionate and always showing me love.

She started the 12 days of Christmas tradition and even gave us goldfish one year!

She dropped everything to babysit anytime.

She traveled across country to see grand kids get baptised, graduate, participate in special events.

She taught us to love ears of corn roasted over hot coals.

Umm, salsa and home made macaroni and cheese, a true culinary delight!

Gardening and canning we always activities she not only encouraged but made us do. What a blessing for me.

She owned her own fabric shop and taught not only her girls, who won County fair ribbons for their sewing, but taught ray to sew. ask about his suit.

She made designer "genes".

She quilted baby quilts for my babies and crocheted edges around receiving blankets.

She and my mom made projects together, mom knitting part and Gene crocheting part.

She crocheted afghans for grand kids' high school graduations.

Lauren learned to sew with Grandma and sews to this day.

She made dresses for little girls in orphanages in Africa.

She made tons of baby things for new born kits.

At her death we donated boxes and boxes of fabric and batting to make quilts for the humanitarian program. These were items that she intended to make into quilts for the same program. I think over 50 quilts were made with the fabric and batting.

She secretly gave baby blankets to anyone she saw had a need. (We found this out after her death)

She taught hundreds of people to sew clothing for themselves and their children.

She was always looking for ways to help others.

She sacrificed everything she had for her family.

She never stopped loving those she loved.

Sunday her 5th great-grandchild was blessed. What an honor to have AJ bless Zamari Amber-Rose on Grandma's 79th birthday. Zamari brings a little piece of Grandma with her. I think Grandma was very pleased with the day. I think Grandma is very pleased with her family.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a blesing to have such a great example...and have her son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful person she sounds like!--
    What kinds of Eastering did teach you?--

    That is so neat about all the fabric you were able to donate to the humanitarian program...

    I enjoyed reading this list...she really left quite a legacy...

    I went to a funeral the other day for a friend of mine who had suffered the residual effects of treatment for a brain tumor many years ago...

    The service was so touching, and I left feeling so inspired by the many people who she affected...It made me want to get on the stick and start making a difference!--

    I think we all wonder what people will remember about us when we are gone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think that she would have liked me and wish I had a chance to know her in this lifetime.

    I remember going through your sewing room a few years back and seeing some of the stuff she had started. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course she likes you, loves you. I think she picked you out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like a wonderful woman, what a great example to have had in yours, Rays and your kids lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like an amazing person...and i'm starting to see a common thread here...i think you have an amazing ability to see the good in others. not just the good, but the great in others. it's a gift, and one that has always made me (and i'm sure others!) feel special and beautiful around you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading about Grandma, she was a pretty neat person. I think she was pretty happy Zamari was blessed on her birthday!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She was a great person, I'm so glad we got to share her. Yes Kate she does love you!! She wanted the best for Nate. This brought back a lot of fun memories, we need to have an Easter like we use to, so all of the younger kids can enjoy what we always did. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete