We had a wonderful Sacrament meeting based on Elder Uctdorf's talk The Infinite Power of Hope. One of the speakers referred to an article given by President Ezra Taft Benson Do Not Despair. It was such an uplifting talk and article that I would like to share 12 steps to overcoming despair and attaining perfection:
- Repent- Abraham Lincoln said, "If you do bad you feel bad. If you do good you feel good." So , is this is something you need to do, then do it!
- Prayer- prayer is a key to help keep depression from destroying you. I thought about this and the promise is not that depression will go away, but that it will be kept from ruining everything.
- Service- I have found if I look around for someone who has more troubles than I and I can find out what they need and then do it for them, then I feel better.
- Work- hard work always helps me feel better, although there are many times I do not want to do it.
- Health- doing things that help me be healthy like exercise (mowing the lawns) and eating nutritiously usually raise my spirits.
- Read the Scriptures- the Book of Mormon, Psalms, Doctrine and Covenants and modern day words of the prophets helps me put things in better perspective.
- Blessings- like a priesthood or father's blessing. Re-reading my patriarchal blessing. The blessing of the Sacrament.
- Fasting- focusing on others' needs
- Friends- friendship should begin at home. Friends can help and lift us.
- Music- listening to hymns and primary songs always cheers me up.
- Endurance- Joseph Smith said, "...and he[she] that holds out faithful to the end shall in nowise lose his[her] reward. A good man[woman] will endure all things to honor Christ...to save his[her] soul."
- Goals- setting goals helps me look forward with a brightness of hope to the future.
I love what was said today in all three of our meetings. Our Sunday School lesson was Doctrine and Covenants 25 and how it applies to us today. This is the section where the Lord tells Emma she is an elect (called) lady. We can each be an elect person if we accept and fulfill our callings and responsibilities. Also, we are encouraged to murmur not. That is such a good piece of advice, especially if we want to be free of despair.
Our Relief Society lesson was especially good, Valiant in the Cause of Christ. Joesph Smith said, "I am a lover of the cause of Christ." Doesn't that say it all? There were four main areas of study today. Even though the words were from Joseph Smith over 150 years ago, read them and see if they don't apply to you today!
- The valiant cheerfully do all they can, even during times of trouble. In 1831 Joseph Smith said, "It was clearly evident that the Lord gave us power in proportion to the work to be done, and strength according to the race set before us, and grace and help as our needs required.
- The valiant love the cause of Christ and strive to develop Christlike qualities. Joseph Smith said, "I am a lover of the cause of Christ and of virtue, chastity and an upright and steady course of conduct, and a holy walk."
- The valiant strive to improve themselves while in this life. Joseph Smith said, "After this instruction you will be responsible for your own sins; it is a desirable honor that you should so walk before our Heavenly Father as to save yourselves; we are all responsible to God for the manner we improve the light and wisdom given by our lord to enable us to save ourselves."
- The valiant endure faithfully to the end and will receive a crown of celestial glory. Joseph Smith said, "Our trust is in God, and we are determined, His grace assisting us, to maintain the cause and hold fast faithful unto the end, that we may be crowned with crowns of celestial glory, and enter into the rest that is prepared for the children of God."
How about it? All three of our meetings complimented and supported each other even though each was a very different subject. It is so amazing to me that this happens almost every week. A strength to my testimony.
Does this happen to you?
Will what you learned today make a difference for you this week?

Why am I not remembering that talk?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, thanks for highlighting it...
#3--service--the best way to pull yourself out of the dumps!
#4--working hard is so cleansing!
#5--mowing lawns! amen! did you put that in
there for me?
#9--friends begin at home!--I like this--I need to work on this!
#10--music speaks to my soul like nothing else!
#12--having goals is sooooo necessary!
Regarding your RS lesson:
#3!!!---Holy responsibility! I like how that is put, though!