Friday, February 13, 2009

Forever Friends, Forever Family

Tuesday evening I drove to Draper to visit the person who has known me the longest. It feels like she has known me as long as my mom has, but really she has only known me since I was seven. She had flown in from Tacoma to watch her grandchildren while her son and his wife went on a cruise. Cool grandma, huh?

My first memories of Jackie are sitting in her front room at her piano learning where my fingers belonged on the piano keys. A baby was asleep in her bassinet and music was playing in the background. Talk about a cool mom.

Once a week I would walk from school with my piano books to take my piano lesson. Unfortunately I was so unsure of myself, that I would never play in front of people and so I just play for myself.

After time passed, I would walk from school to her house to just talk to her and play with her children. I spent many hours in the summer just hanging out with them.

Soon they moved next door to a big old Victorian style house. I spent lots of time in that home. I remember the time her youngest son who was in the bathroom (the bathroom was on a landing between the the upstairs and downstairs-I should say the back stairs not the main ones) called, "Mom, tell that 'gril' (me) to come and wipe my bottom!" We still laugh about it. He always wanted me to help him.

My mom tells me that she would try to tell me something and I would not listen, but then I would come home from Jackie's house and say, "Guess what Jackie told me..." and it would be exactly what mom would be trying to teach me. Later when I was married, mom told me just how important Jackie was in our lives.

One of my very first memories of my mom's words of wisdom happened after Jackie lost a baby. It was soon after my sister died. Jackie told mom that she, Jackie, should be comforting mom. My mom told her, "I had five wonderful years with Margaret, you did not get anytime with your baby." That is the kind of mom I have. Jackie still remembers those words. Many years later Jackie lost her oldest son in a terrible car accident. It was a horrible time for everyone. Once again, my mom was able to comfort her friend.

Ray had to pass Jackie's inspection before I could marry him. And then she gave us a wonderful luncheon in her home after we took out our endowments. That was her proof of her stamp of approval.

Jackie was my escort when I went through the temple the first time. My mom went through for the first time on the very same day. We went through the Salt Lake Temple. I had loved it since I was a little girl. It was a wonderful experience. Then she and her husband traveled to Manti to witness our sealing.

Even though I have not seen her for years, it felt just like yesterday the minute I saw her. We hugged each other and sat down to talk and talk and talk...

We had a lot to catch up on. We talked about loved ones now gone, but whom we both knew and loved. It was so comforting for me.

Jackie has always been my other mother. Truly. I am so thankful for her. I thankful that she still loves me just like she did when I was seven.

Jackie knows me. Jackie knows Margaret. Jackie knows Dad. Jackie knows Mom.

Jackie has mourned with me through the loss of my sister, my dad, my mom.

Jackie has celebrated with me over my marriage, the birth of each of my children, and even my darling grand baby.

She is my other mother.

Eternal is forever.

Thank you, Jackie!

1 comment:

  1. very sweet- i'm getting to know you more through your posts. how wonderful to have a "second mom" that you can share with.

    ReplyDelete