Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ode to Soup


Katie's blog reminded me of our life with soup.

Homemade soup is easy to prepare.

Homemade soup is nutritious.

Homemade soup is inexpensive.

Homemade soup can stretch to feed more people.

In a nutshell we ate a lot of soup when the kids were growing up.

Ray's mom made great soups and taught me how.

The plus side is that Ray likes soup, too.

Nate does not.

The joke at our house was add a little more water to the beans company is coming.

That said, there came an evening when I fixed a very nice chicken dinner after days of eating soup for dinner. Now I have to defend myself in that I changed things up. Sometimes we had homemade rolls with our soup or biscuits or cornbread. But that evening I had made an especially nice dinner. It was Nate's turn to say the blessing and he started out with, "Bless this soup." Poor kid he LOVED real meat dinners and was tired of, but resigned to soup. Thinking back, I think the problem was if we did not eat all of the soup at dinner, the next night I would add something to it that I thought made a little change and therefor a different soup experience and on and on until the original soup was gone. For Nate it was one leftover meal after another. He really does not like left overs either. Do you blame him? But like the good guy he is, he will eat most anything. I LOVE to feed him just for that reason.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I can get some recipes from you. We love soup at our house! But Jonas is similar to your son. He wants meat all the time. So we make sure to at least put some kind of meat in most of our meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, he doesnt like left overs, or soups. We have those a lot. :) He eats just about anything though.

    :)

    ReplyDelete