1 week ago
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Harvest...lol
Our garden this year started out with high hopes...peas, beans, lettuce, radishes, beets, cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow crook neck summer squash, butternut and acorn squash (winter varieties) and two pumpkin seeds from Pam for the pumpkin growing contest. Excited was I to eat out of the garden this summer...no peas, no beans, no lettuce, no radishes, 3 beets, no cauliflower, a few cucumbers, lots and lots of grape tomatoes, but the slicing tomatoes have not ripened yet! There are lots on the vine but we have already had a freeze :( . Some zucchini and crook neck, but not enough to fill the freezer. Winter squash was the best performer! One plant of each yielded 18 butternut squash and 34 acorn squash!!! Those two heirloom pumpkin seeds produced two LARGE pumpkins. I would say the top one weighs around 25 to 30 pounds and the bottom one, my pride and joy, could weigh up to 50 pounds. We definitely will not win the pumpkin growing contest, but I have never grown pumpkins this large! I am saving the seeds and will be happy to share. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





yummy!!! i have a DELICIOUS acorn squash soup recipe-let me know if you want it!!
ReplyDeleteYES!!!! I do!
DeleteI wish I could send you some!
Delete